Winter weather is on its way and along with the arctic air comes the risk for frozen pipes. Have you done the following to prepare your home and business this winter?
- Repair and seal cracks around windows and doors that can allow cold air to reach indoors
- Seal around pipe openings to prevent cold airflow
- Remove, drain and store outdoor hoses and close inside valves that supply outdoor lines
- Open outside valves during winter months so that remaining water can expand without breaking pipes
- Know the location of the shut-off valve for your water supply
- Keep the thermostat above 55 degrees, even when traveling
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to give indoor plumbing access to warmer air
- Allow faucets to drip
- Monitor water-based fire protection systems
With proper preparation, you can minimize the impact of severe weather on your home or business. You can learn more by visiting the severe weather resources provided by our friends at Cincinnati Insurance.
Stay warm this winter!